Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Big Ad

TV spots for beer have always been entertaining. At least for as long as I can remember, which, to be completely honest, is only about a decade. While elephantine in size, I have the memory of a gnat. I don’t remember beer adverts from the 70s, but, as it was from the 70s, it by definition sucked, and I don’t remember them from the 80s, but again, by virtue of decade association they sucked as well, but had better music. Therefore, I suppose what I am really saying is that since the 90s, beer commercials, with a few exceptions (Pete Coors, you bug me) kick all buttocks.

A few personal favorites include the horses playing football, the recent Guinness commercials (I say Phineas, Brilliant!), and of course the ubiquitous Budweiser frogs commercials and the army of off-shoots this campaign spawned. I have to admit, although I had a soft spot in my heart for the ferret, Louie and Frankie, they were my favorites. They were brilliant! An Abbott & Costello for the beer-drinker. While my love for the little buggers did not extend to taking part in the orgy of merchandising launched by their popularity, if Bud was to put out a DVD compilation of the ads, including the radio spots, I would seriously consider adding it to my collection.

Now, I have told you all of this so you will grasp the full weight of what I am about to say.

The lads at Fosters have created the greatest beer ad ever.

By ever I mean since man first discovered the frothy goodness that is beer, there has been no greater add.

You can view it here.

Go.

Go on, it will be okay.

Take a moment to wallow in the glory.

Watch it and be forever changed by the undeniable majesty that is this ad.

Then go drink a Carlton. Hell, have one on me, but I will have to owe you.


(On a semi-related subject, I find the current crop of ads for Tanqueray particularly irritating and, if I drank gin, which I hold, along with Mr. TunaCan, to be a Dutch fuck you to the English, I would stop. Or rather I would not drink Tanqueray anymore. God those ads bug me.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At first I thought it was kind of lame, but then I realized, this really is a freakin awesome ad.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home