Thursday, December 01, 2005

First Question

So why is the name of the blog Alcoholocaust while the URL is tipeler.blogspot.com?

Well, the short answer is that some no talent twelve-stepping ass clown who may or may not be named Lou Kesten has the alcoholocaust.blogspot.com URL all tied up. Normally this would not bother me, however he has made exactly one post to his blog back on Sunday, December 30th, 2001. The one sick pleasure I can derive from this is that while this Alcoholocaust is about the joys of drink his is, “…dedicated to the principle that recovery from alcoholism can be, if not fun, at least funny.” There is a glorious irony here that I like to savor for a moment.

Mmmm. Tastes like victory.

I tried a couple of other URLs, but they were also tied up. When I looked up tippling at Dictionary.com (one of the most useful sites out there, in my opinion) I found that is was possibly derived from the Middle English word for bartender, tipeler. Tippling.blogspot.com was taken (as were benders.blogspot.com and benderz.blgospot.com) so tipeler.blogspot.com became the home for the new and shiny Alcoholocaust. Besides, I figure having a foreign language kind of ups the intellectual hipness of the place, and lord knows we are going to need all the help we can get with that here.

No one actually asked this question, I just thought I would get it out of the way before someone did.

As the more astute amongst you may notice, we are now kicking it at alcoholocaust.blogspot.com thanks to Lou Kesten who turns out to be a hell of a guy and gave up the URL when he read this post. I moved this post from the tipeler site for the sake of completeness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home